[Information] Experimental CachyOS Handheld Edition

I noticed some odd behavior. Whe no a new game is installed and I have to build shaders for some reason the entire device starts to lag. Part of me wonders if this is because of the new scheduler that was introduced.

That is pretty normal. You can disable the shader compilation in the Steam Settings.

Is it recommended we download each new ISO to test individually? Or can we just continuously update to get these changes to the release version?
Sorry for a potentially silly question.

I’m only wondering just in case I need to relay any ‘cachy’ specific bugs for the Ally.

So far though, it’s been great. I reported the desktop resolution resizing itself on login previously, apart from that and the FPS limiter everything is working nicely. Thanks again for the hard work!

No, this is not required. CachyOS ships everything ondemand.
If manual action is required, then we will notify you.

So far though, it’s been great. I reported the desktop resolution resizing itself on login previously, apart from that and the FPS limiter everything is working nicely. Thanks again for the hard work!

We will look into this also.

Idk that wasn’t normal lag. That being said I do think it was my overclock being unstable that fixed this because it stopped.

I did want to report on two more things that I found to be honest issues. The first one is I do know why but while in desktop mode not docked, while doing certain things the mouse just stops working. For example with lutris. If I install Ubisoft connect and then try and launch wine tricks, when the wine tricks window opens my trackpad/mouse will no longer work until I close that window!

The second issue k noticed is the toggle for the updated fan profile isn’t in setting the way it should be. Not that I care all that much because I use fantastic anyway but still. It’s not there. I also noticed that the bios manager I linked above works up to a point now but I still can’t install the srep files from smokeless to the EFI partition. It says a folder is missing?

Link has been updated, see release chanelogs here:
https://discuss.cachyos.org/t/cachyos-june-2024-release-changelog/567/2

Would I need to reinstall or just update seeing as this distro is rolling? Just want to be sure no manual intervention is needed.

Just pacman -Syu

1 Like

@ptr1337
Installed CachyOS on a LCD SteamDeck.

Everything works incredibly well, no issues during the install, desktop switching works as expected, decky loader installed without a hitch.
I have been able to play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at 4k ~40 fps constant via cemu.
Battery life seems to be great but will have to require more testing later on.
Btrfs was installed as the default filesystem.

Current encountered issues (currently cannot provide logs but will see if I can next weekend) :

1. Big Picture mode (Steam OS session), I need to rest and wake up the SteamDeck before I’m able to use the controller/touchscreen to navigate the menus.
  2. Steam Button/Right Side (3 dots) button do not work (This could be from me tweaking the ui/using the Steam beta client).

Thank you for your work, the issues mentionned are not first priority and could just be on my end.
Really just wanted to tell you how great your Distro is and how well it runs on the SteamDeck !

Hey bud just a heads up. Your second issue could be cause by stick drift. Try increasing your dead zone and see if it still happens.

Hi, i install newest build on Rog Ally, wifi is not working for me, any guide to get drivers? O tutorial to how to get it working?

Steam deck lcd Night mode doesnt work and vibrancy deck/toolbox decky plugins don’t work either anyone else have same problem? fix in next update? other then that its the perfect distro for the steam deck.

Yes, same with me on the Legion Go.

Also, I just updated to the latest version in Desktop mode. However, after rebooting, I can no longer enter Desktop mode. It just reboots into Steam. Not sure how I can manually boot into Desktop mode anymore. :frowning:

You need to update again

@ptr1337 working very well here on Ally, is there already a way to put gnome instead of kde ? i know it’s not supported at installation for now, but is there a way in post installation please ? Thanks a lot again, CachyOS is now my main OS all my computers :slight_smile:

Working well on my Steam Deck OLED !

Only the framelimiter doesn’t work.

1 Like

We do not plan to provide support for Gnome yet. We want to focus on stability for one Desktop Enviroment, and specially the switching behaviour can get problematic and messy if using another desktop env.

1 Like

This is also documented on the Foss site.

1 Like

I have installed the system on my Steam Deck OLED and encountered the following problem. When playing a game, the sound has interference and crackles, but this only happens during the game. There are no problems in SteamOS shell mode or desktop mode. I checked this issue while playing HellDivers 2.
Testes by speakers and headphones.

Put this into following path ~/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/pipewire.conf

context.properties = {
    default.clock.quantum       = 256
    default.clock.min-quantum   = 32
    default.clock.max-quantum   = 256
    default.clock.quantum-limit = 256
}

This should fix it.

@nekoh

Should we maybe put this into the cachyos-handheld package? It appears to be generally kinda problematic on the SD oled.
Either, it comes from the steamdeck-dsp package, or we need to modify stuff there for newer pipewire releases.