Steam DNS Caching Issues

While trying to install some games on Steam I have been running into various issues with the download speeds being high initially and then dropping by 20x a couple minutes into the download.

While I am not exactly sure why this happens I do know that it’s possible to configure some Steam sided DNS caching by including the @nClientDownloadEnableHTTP2PlatformLinux 0 and @fDownloadRateImprovementToAddAnotherConnection 1.0 params in steam_dev.cfg.

However, even though these changes were automatically applied when installing Steam through pacman I still had to install dnsmasq and configure it with the following params:

listen-address=::1,127.0.0.1
cache-size=10000
conf-file=/usr/share/dnsmasq/trust-anchors.conf
dnssec

Only after applying these changes was my Steam stable enough not to drop off to an astronomically low bit rate 2 minutes into the installation.

Perhaps it has something to do with the CachyOS default DNS caching since the first steps with configuring steam_dev.cfg actually do resolve the problem when troubleshooting the exact same issue on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.

Hi,

Yes, we are already applying these parameters for Steam as default to fix this issue. Anyways, since we do not really want to setup dnsmasq, could you check if systemd-resolvd would also fix the issue?

It works with systemd-resolvd perfectyly :slight_smile: steam download speed is correct now :slight_smile:
Solution:
Open the configuration file:

sudo nano /etc/systemd/resolved.conf

Add or modify the following lines in the file:

[Resolve]
DNS=::1 127.0.0.1
Cache=10000
DNSSEC=yes

Save and close the file. If you’re using nano, you can do this by pressing CTRL + X, then Y, and Enter.

Restart the systemd-resolved service to apply the changes:

sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved

And it’s done :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw that DNS configuration in systemd-resolved is not necessary.
If you want to download something from steam, restart systemd-resolved,

sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved

Its crazy, how many DNS requests Steam does while downloading. Many people complained.

Specially, if you have a Pihole running it can get very fast over utilized.