Newbie questions

Following some reviews on the internet I am thinking of moving from Endevour to Cachy as it seems to have better hardware support for games and I am starting to do some virtual machine testing.
However, the first thing I noticed was the absence of the AUR as a repository, or at least that’s what it looked like when I tried to install packages from there.
I also noticed the absence of yay, which I usually used on Endevour.

How come AUR is absent by default?

Arch does not install AUR or yay by default, so I assume Cachy is just following that protocol. I use AUR and yay on cachyos without any problems. It’s straightforward to install:

sudo pacman -S --needed base-devel git
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay.git
cd yay
makepkg -si

1 Like

I have found that quite a lot of packages from AUR are directly in the CachyOS repositories.
It all depends on what exactly you want to install.

I’m trying to install megasync that is on AUR or on the MEGA repository

I use paru helper in CachyOS.
You can try

paru megasync

Then choose number of repository that you want to use.

Hi,

CachyOS does as default install “paru” as default, which is written in rust and more or less from the same maintainer.
Yay is still maintained, but does not maintain as many features.

You can find paru and yay precompiled also in our repository, e.g. sudo pacman -S yay

ok @ptr1337 and @vawaver
let me try paru
beucase I got first and error like this

error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.74

so I made a link to the library with that name but now I got

megasync: symbol lookup error: megasync: undefined symbol: u_foldCase_74

and now it’s starting to bore me

no luck.
Now I’m getting

Avoiding wayland

The problem is that this package is not rebuild against the latest ICU.
For AUR packages we cant do there much, if this is not a building package.

Doing a symlink is very problematic.
please install following package:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/icu74

paru -S icu74

then it should work fine.

1 Like

I have a noob question, hopefully someone can help me: How to enable Wayland on Gnome? For some reason it doesn’t show, since I’m really noob I am not sure where to begin. Is there a discord server where I can join so someone could guide me?

Actually, GDM does disable on NVIDIA Cards the Wayland ability for Gnome.
You can workaround this with running:
ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules

After that reboot your computer and you should be able to choose at the Selection Wayland.

1 Like

megasync also needs this environment variable QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb (just edit your kde application launcher, or put it in front of megasync on the terminal).

1 Like

can someone pls help me i cant install anything bc i dont know how and on youtube no one shows turtial pls help me

It would be good if you first:

1. Write more about yourself so we can understand your previous experience with Linux.
  2. Specify exactly what you want to install.