Kernel Builder QoL Features

Hi !!

May i suggest to please add a “remember these options” feature to the kernel builder ui to not need to tick boxes everytime.

Also please add some kind of name to the package thats made from the builder so the custom kernel is not overwritten by the package of the same name from the repo when running pacman -Syu, i have fixed it by adding the package to the pacman ignore list however it does mean i cannot have the default version and custom versions both installed for module need checking with modprobed-db ie boot the default bore kernel then later build and boot a custom one.
I have the base kernel installed alongside the custom bore one atm but itd just be nice to have the bore default and bore custom alongside.

That is a rather difficult thing to accomplish. The modules on your system may not be the same modules as theirs. However, It is much more feasible if you were to use something like dracut with some module-setup.sh files that would install the .so modules you want it to. However, this isn’t currently a workable plan since the cachy Repos lack dracut rebuild initramfs, which is needed to upgrade grub kernels if you happen to be using grub. If you use Systemd-boot than you can just go with dracut with little worry as far as I can tell. I hate to say this but I am not exactly in control of what gets into the repos and what does not. I suggest you bring it up with Ptr1337. I find dracut to be easier to work with. If anyone needs my help using and modifying dracut don’t be afraid to call to me on these forums.

Also please add some kind of name to the package

You can modify in the kernel manager the $pkgbase, see

custom versions both installed for module need checking with modprobed-db

That requires manual action by the user. Also generating the modprobe.db is important to be properly checked, otherwise it can fail to boot or missing feaures

The user is asking if there is a way to not have to do that every time there is a kernel update. This is something that I would most certainly be interested in. But my understanding is that when you get an update for the kernel you chose, You have to rebuild it again. This is very time consuming. Even more so on old hardware.
To summarize, would it be possible to update the selected modules and other selected settings with out having to overwrite it with defaults?

Looks like you guys mis understood my request

I ask for the kernel builder to remember the tick box options, the ticks that you put in the boxes and the selections in any drop down menus.

I did not say anything about which modules are been used, this doesn’t matter here, just remember that the option to check for the db file is checked, as in remember which boxes where ticked.

As for package name, Thats fine but will it remember this or also forget this and need to be retyped every time the kernel builder is run ?

Sorry for misunderstanding. I don’t think it will remember the package name, i don’t think it will remember it. With regards to ticking the boxes, yeah that would be nice if it stayed the same as you left it the last time you did so.

Or some export/import of the settings to json or xml.

well it’s planned since quite a while.
so just a matter when the time would be available to implement it

The user is asking if there is a way to not have to do that every time there is a kernel update.

for that to not happen, “Custom package name” should be changed with custom name e.g linux-opt-my-kernel

As for package name, Thats fine but will it remember this or also forget this and need to be retyped every time the kernel builder is run ?

it will forget after you built kernel and closed the CachyOS Kernel Manager