I want to use my cachyos to create virtual machines with KVM What should I install?

Hello, thanks for supporting this Linux distribution, for a couple of years it is my favorite.
What packages should I install to create virtual machines in cachyos with kvm?
Greetings.

Hi,

This would be the same as at archlinux. You can use qemu, libvirt, vmware or equal.

Maybe some tip. I use VirtualBOX for VM on CachyOS.

For info:

1. virtualbox has the worst performance compared to kvm & vmware (but is very easy to use, like vmware).
  2. vmware has the best performance for windows VMs thanks to it’s hardware accelerated GPU driver. KVM can be better only with GPU pass-through (which is complicated to setup on kvm, and vmware can also do it easier).
  3. vmware workstation pro is now available for FREE for personal use, since last week.
  4. the vmware driver works great with the linux-cachyos kernel, but fails to build with the lto kernel.
1 Like

sudo pacman -S --needed qemu-desktop virt-manager virt-viewer vde2 bridge-utils openbsd-netcat dmidecode iptables-nft qemu-img edk2-ovmf libosinfo swtpm;paru -S virtio-win;sudo virt-host-validate qemu

IOMMU is not enabled, to enable it; add intel_iommu=on iommu=pt
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“intel_iommu=on iommu=pt”

sudo systemctl enable libvirtd.service;sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Reboot

sudo usermod -aG libvirt $USER;echo “export LIBVIRT_DEFAULT_URI=‘qemu:///system’” >> ~/.fishrc;source ~/.fishrc