Hi there from Canada

Well well, thought I’d say hello and give some kudos to the team behind CachyOS.

I’m a 57 year old long time Linux user, started back in the 90’s when I ran some web hosting servers and tinkered with running it on my desktop throughout the years. I’ve almost always had some form of Linux running somewhere either for hobby or business activities.

Working in IT for a large corporation now which is all MS based so I’m stuck using Windows there. Recently I decided to build a new PC and after experiencing what the Steam Deck has done for Linux gaming I felt it was time to aim at running Linux on it as the only OS.

I started testing Linux Mint on my gaming laptop and everything just worked. When I built my gaming PC though I felt I’d test out some of the more optimized distros and CachyOS pops up as a recommendation.

New system built, load up Cachy and wow is this thing responsive! A couple items weren’t functioning though, for some reason it refuses to load up the ppd for my Brother network printer which Mint finds no problem. I ended up getting the generic ppd to work in Cachy though.

But, seeing as I was having issues with that and some python related stuff (Fooocus, it just don’t work in Arch I find) I tried loading Mint on the new PC. Well, turns out the new PC is a bit more bleeding edge and no bluetooth or wifi working on Mint, loading their 6 series kernel got bluetooth working (sort of) but not the wifi since the new motherboard is using a wifi7 chipset. Didn’t want to waste time with it though since Cachy found it and worked with it. So, back to CachyOS it is.

System is AMD 7800x3D, X670 Pro X motherboard, 64GB RAM, 3TB m.2, Nvidia 4070 Super and wow, does this thing fly under Cachy. Every game I want to try works (some tinkering required on some initially), but I can pretty much just set them to ultimate settings 1440p and play.

Kudos to the team behind this, I’m enjoying the experience so far and donated to keep this going. Especially a big thanks for the Zen4 optimized repository, even more performance! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @bctripster ,

Really glad you found us and like our distro!

I give you here little answer.

New system built, load up Cachy and wow is this thing responsive! A couple items weren’t functioning though, for some reason it refuses to load up the ppd for my Brother network printer which Mint finds no problem. I ended up getting the generic ppd to work in Cachy though.

Yes, we do preinstall a lot of stuff and keep it as simple as possible, since printing is not that big thing in those times, there is not much reason to provide support for this as default, even tough I would suggest you to look into the Archlinux Wiki Article for printing:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CUPS

But, seeing as I was having issues with that and some python related stuff (Fooocus, it just don’t work in Arch I find)

Likely you are running into the issue, when using pip install xyz, this has been deprecated/disabled by upstream python, due security issues. You can use “pipx”, which generates directly a save enviroment.
The archlinux/cachyos repository also has a lot of native python packages, but maybe you do not find all of them and need to relay on pipx.

I tried loading Mint on the new PC. Well, turns out the new PC is a bit more bleeding edge and no bluetooth or wifi working on Mint

Oh, yes - the 4070 Super appears to need a latest 535 or 550+ driver.

System is AMD 7800x3D, X670 Pro X motherboard, 64GB RAM, 3TB m.2, Nvidia 4070 Super and wow, does this thing fly under Cachy.

My Setup is mostly equal, besides having Asrock Pro RS and a 7950X3D - im already super hyped for Zen 5 :stuck_out_tongue:

Kudos to the team behind this, I’m enjoying the experience so far and donated to keep this going. Especially a big thanks for the Zen4 optimized repository, even more performance! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much! Im pretty hyped to announce tomorrow officially the Zen4 Repository and see how the reaction from common news sites will be - CachyOS tries to provide the future linux. :slight_smile:

Have a nice time here.

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome Peter.

The printer I have working with generic driver now, not sure what the issue is when I choose the Brother specific model but it just refuses to write the PPD for some reason. Haven’t delved too deeply into it though, generic is fine for the little amount I actually print. I use another PC for my work stuff anyway since I need to have Citrix Workspace (which does work in Cachy) and WebEx (which doesn’t support Linux beyond basic meetings via their browser interface).

Fooocus was just something I was tinkering with on my main PC, mostly just testing out the AI generation on the Nvidia cards, so mostly I wanted to see how much faster it is compared to the 1060 on the laptop, 3080 on the Windows PC and 4070 on this new PC. I did try pipx but it failed and I didn’t delve too much deeper knowing I don’t want to screw up the underlying python system once I realized that’s what Pacman uses.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to what we can accomplish with the bleeding edge Linux builds. :smile:

1 Like

Found the fix for the printer if anyone has similar issues …

added the mdns4 to nsswitch.conf and created /etc/mdns.allow with my local domain names in it. PPD now imported and no more errors from CUPS.

1 Like