Hi, I'm new and I love this distro

Hello, I’m from Romania, I do Linux sysadmin and flutter development.

I’ve been using EndeavourOS for the past ~2 years on my desktop pc. I love it, it has been a relatively smooth ride. But I already changed to the ALHP repos with it.

I’ve been eyeing Cachy for a quite a while, just didn’t have the patience for a distro hop.

I got a new laptop and decided to only use windows on it as a virtual machine(hope it will work well).

First I wanted to use tumbleweed, because it seems a bit more stable and has good btrfs integration, but I just didn’t like how the package management was handled, it wasn’t as simple as the AUR. So I came back to the arch family, installed cachy.

I’m really in awe of how snappy it is compared to tumbleweed. Setting up btrfs snapshots and booting them from the grub was super easy. Now I’m planning to change my desktop pc to cachy too.

4 Likes

Almost the same story. Was long time Manjaro user, waited for the right moment and changed main system to spare disk, to choose and try some distros. Tried almost everything. I don’t know, dozens OSes. Including tumbleweed. i still like it’s very clean and polished xfce theme. But the package managing was not sexy, i even couldn’t install shutter, that i used a lot.

Even thought to get back to Manjaro, but later on ended up choosing between Endeavour ar Cachy OS. No regrets i’m here.

Not a fan of btrfs though. But at the time i installed Cachy, xfs was default, so it’s not a problem. OS is working really fast and sleek for me. By default i don’t like forked browsers, but cachy browser is also very fast, so got stick to it too.

4 Likes

What don’t you like about btrfs?

Welcome!

Its very great to hear that more and more developers migrating to CachyOS. If you have special requests, related to debug packages or equal, please let me know. We want to provide a easy usage for developers too, even tough we wont start compiling our packages with frame-pointers, where other distros migrating currently to.

Glad you had a great migration. Hope youll have a good time here!

too different from what i know. also, i’m not a target of it’s main purpose - backups. i just don’t get, why i should use it. i have backup laptop (actually, i have secondary small ssd on the same laptop with windows to test things or use as emergency OS) if something extremely bad happens on main. i rarely install shady things. i have backups of important files. even if i brake OS - i can reach those files.
as far as i know, btrfs is not faster than others and it uses extra space, and i’m not confident if i know how to use it right.
so it’s more about my needs, not that btrfs is worse than others.