Everything about COSMIC

Since the CachyOS July 2024 release, my MacBook keyboard lighting has stopped working. I have a guide to fix the problem, but I haven’t looked into it yet.
After installing COSMIC, the keyboard lighting works again. Even when I quit COSMIC and use my usual KDE!
I’m slowly starting to love COSMIC.
I just need to figure out how to scroll in the windows and browser without using the sidebar.

Cosmouis awesome only DE I have installed no need more or another ones.

Key binds works really good opening terminal, app store, open opened apps and switch, toggle tiling switch tiling, switch workspace etc all works from keyboard too

Oh, maybe there was another update. Cosmic should not change there anything.

Admittedly, my guess sounds pretty far-fetched. It must have been an update.

As far as the Cosmic installation is concerned, I have to admit that I didn’t do any research and just installed it via Pacman.

After that, I realized that half of it was missing. It’s a flatpak package!

So I installed the missing packages.

I think I should install the whole thing properly again. Maybe then I’ll be able to scroll in the windows too :smiley:

So far so Good:

Shell: bash 5.2.32
Display (AUOD1ED): 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz in 15″ [Built-in]
DE: COSMIC
WM: cosmic-comp (Wayland)
Theme: Fusion [Qt], cachyos-nord [GTK2/3/4]
Icons: char-white [Qt], Qogir [GTK2/3/4]
Font: Noto Sans (10pt) [Qt], Noto Sans (10pt) [GTK2/3/4]
Cursor: capitaine (16px)
Terminal: xfce4-terminal 1.1.3
Terminal Font: Source Code Pro (10pt)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H (12) @ 4.28 GHz
GPU 1: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile [Discrete]
GPU 2: AMD Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series [Integrated]
Memory: 3.44 GiB / 13.50 GiB (25%)
Swap: 0 B / 13.50 GiB (0%)
Disk (/): 87.36 GiB / 215.24 GiB (41%) - bcachefs
Local IP (eth0): 192.168.1.154/24
Battery: 100% [AC Connected]
Locale: en_US.UTF-8

Note this was installed along with bcachefs, nothing bad yet.
Go Team cachyOS! :wink:

2 Likes

Cosmic is going to be new gnome

Cosmic dev said to us, its a totally different experience, then gnome :smiley:

1 Like

It is way better and what I mean by my previous comment is that gnome is so popular and default on so many so cosmic will replace that situation and soon cosmic is the number one default on each distro

Can’t wait to see more about cosmic with full login screen and more features

I am not seeing the situation that Cosmic would replace gnome. There is so much big development from distro developers that also work with gnome that it will stay as a “default” for many or atleast on another main option (fedora, ubuntu etc big players).

Cosmic has a long road ahead to get from alpha stage and it already looks great and is very nice to use, but sidelining gnome is not going to happen anytime soon.

1 Like

In long run it might, but yes there is still those that are sponsored by Gnome and work with them still

The cosmic is fresh breeze on DE side to add some competition

Cosmic with Cachy is the best wayland experience that i have ever. Funny thing that cosmic is alpha stage but still so good, btw i’ve got nvidia 3060 and open source drivers. Valheim works really good and can’t wait to test another games. Good work cachy team :muscle:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community :smiley:

2 Likes

Just saw that video on YT about Cosmic, for the ones that are interested; It s also still in the Alpha stage, so one can expect some breakages here & there as time goes on.

Hey! When cosmic has new updates on cachyos?

1 Like