Unable to access other drives

Hey, I am fairly new to Linux and have decided to dual boot with windows to see how I get on using CachyOS. The OS installed fine, and looks pretty good. However, I am having issues accessing my other two drives. When I go to Dolphin and try to mount the drives I get the following message:

“An error occurred while accessing ‘Games’, the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/nvme1n1p4 at /run/media/ben/Games: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/nvme1n1p4, missing codepage or helper program, or other error”

I have tried Google, but everything seems to indicate I need to wipe the drives? Which is just a straight no as they contain a lot of data - this error shows on both drives.

Can anybody help?

Open your partition manager and see what it says and then post here what file system those drives are using (I’m willing to bet it they’re NTFS). You should have KDE Partition Manager installed. This might be as simple as disabling Fast Startup in Windows itself then booting into Cachy. I honestly can’t say for sure cause it’s been a long time since I’ve had to disable it for peeps so they could access secondary drives from Windows in Linux.

That indicates, that you have a faulty NTFS Drive.
See:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NTFS#Unable_to_mount_with_ntfs3_with_partition_marked_dirty

Not nnecessarily. As I said Check Fast Startup in Windows first and disable it. THEN check your drives in Linux.

FYI: They’re most likely marked diry cause they are locked because of Windows.

Sometimes I have the similar problem with shared NTFS data disc for Windows 11 and CachyOS. The disc is locked for Windows only.

I solve it this way:
Start Windows 11 → Righclick on Start button → start Powershell as administrator → this command:

powercfg /h off

Disc is unlocked for CachyOS as well.

2 Likes

Must do the samething as turning off Fast Startup does in Windows.

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for all your answers :slight_smile:

So, I started getting a lot more issues - freezing, crashing, some apps not opening and/or running. Something strange was going on. I decided to start over, and re-install the OS.

Well, everything is working fine and smooth now, no issues at all. I can only conclude that somehow, in some way the install was ‘corrupt’. I suspect perhaps the install media maybe.

Either way, its all up and running now and I’m very happy :slight_smile: Thanks again for all your input.

1 Like

Unfortunately rather Windows, Linux, iSO, etc you can have perfectly good install media but for whatever reason still have the install go sideways. Glad you got it sorted. Have fun.