Need Recommendations on Production Server

I run a small grocery store, which is quiet popular in my small area.
I’m planning to build a woocommerce website and better social infra so that i can take-over more audience of my city.

The point is, I cannot afford a good hardware for my server.
I’m preferring to host a server locally at my store and I really trust cachyos as it shows real performance results, so do you guys recommend CachyOS for my production environment?

I’m just doubtful as it uses arch as base and “arch breaks” randomly over time.

Hi,

Depending on the requirements, you can also host already small websites even on a little Raspberry Pi 5, that works without problems.
Depending on what you need, and how much the power costs are at you.

Even older hardware, like a intel 8700k or equal would be already really powerful for a little website.
If you want to increase your services, like hosting an own mailserver and co the requirements can a bit up.

But for your small website, I would really suggest you to go to a webhosting. This is actually really not expensive, you get support, a free domain and so on.
See Webhosting | Fast and Reliable

Here the webhosting starts from 2 Euro per month, which includes one domain including mailserver and one website.

Anyways, Cachy can be generally used for such usecases - we use it also for our server. We have aditonally a daily backup activated to another storage servers - for just in case situations.
Besides that, you maybe want to use BTRFS as filesystem with weekly snapshots, so in case anything breaks, you can easily rollback.

2 Likes

Thanks for the nice write-up and explanation, well good enough ig, i can surely go with it now, boosted my motivation.

Also regarding web-hosting, I’m kind of mad over privacy, i dont want any other 3rd party get to know even a bit of my organisational details about my business and other related workings of my store.

Most importantly these 2 dollar hosting sucks, they can’t even run woocommerce properly, even my server can’t, by proper i mean serving the page in just maximum “2 seconds”, with cachyos it’s achievable :slight_smile:

Although I am a fervent fan of CachyOS, I would not use it for a production environment. Due to its continuous release model, it may be less stable than other distributions with a more conservative approach to updates. When it comes to maintenance, it requires greater maintenance effort from the server administrator, as it is necessary to be attentive to updates and possible problems that may arise. But if you like challenges, it can be a nice experience :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If you really want to use CachyOS as a server (and desktop as well) then I’d say “go for it”. I intend to do just that for my own personal domain which is currently running on Ubuntu in a Proxmox VM. Some of the setup is determined whether you have a static IP and, if so, whether your broadband provider is willing to allocate a reverse PTR record for your domain pointing to your external IP. If not then running your own mailserver is not feasible in 2024. Although you could relay outgoing mail to somewhere else, like Gmail for instance

I totally support the idea of running as many services as possible in some kind of local LAN homelab environment. Part of my day job is setting up and managing mail and web hosting services so I’d be happy to help where I can.

2 Likes

I have a 100+TB server I installed 12 years ago on archlinux on my LAN on an Intel NUC i3 with an USB3 10 drives bay plugged into it wth all the drives on BTRFS, running everyday for the past 12 years, serving the web, plex, sonarr, prowlarr, sabnzbd, torrent, etc…etc…

→ ZERO maintenance for 12 years other than regularly running the updates. And 3 hard drives I had to replace over the years due to damaged sectors (hard drives fail over time, nothing you can do about it).

Last year I just added the cachyos repos and the cachyos server kernel → updated → and since then this original 12 years old archlinux server in now running on the updated cachyos packages.

→ ZERO maintenance again other than system updates.

Running a server on a solid stable hardware base like an intel system is different than the problematic desktops with nvidia cards, etc…

That said, on my full amd desktop with cachyos I also had ZERO maintenance since I installed it 1 year ago.

In my experience, the rolling archlinux is A LOT LESS PROBLEMS than something like Ubuntu, which would always break on major version system upgrades due to the dozens of external repos and launchpad repos you have to add (to get much less software available than arch), which you then have to update manually in the config files to get the upgrade to run, etc… and then some software is not available for the new version (or doesn’t work on the old version anymore due to new libraries, etc…) → WHAT A PIECE OF GARBAGE (packaging system).

With arch/cachyos it just keeps rolling & rolling for years & years…

→ imo, due to the VERY LIMITED software availability, distributions like Ubuntu are just glorified chrome books compared to arch based systems. The arch AUR is a completely different world.

BUT I agree, for a commercial online service I would go with Debian, for the peace of mind. (if a cloud VPS or rented, etc… is not possible/preferable).

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for sharing experiences and advices, I’ve decided to go with CachyOS for my server and ready for challenges :slight_smile:

Yup totally agree.

@MBK Thanks for sharing your story with arch over years, It motivated me even more, I was bit confused and even planned to step back earlier, but now seems like “it just works”.

Also guys, i’m not selecting solution in this discussion so that this thread doesn’t get closed, if someone in future searches related queries would be helpful for them to share their thoughts and experience later onwards.

3 Likes

Please tell us your future experiences. I’m quite interested how it will turn out.

And yes, having a snapshotting filesystem (My recommendation would be ZFS - which cachyos supports out of the box) takes a lot out of the fear of upgrades breaking something.

2 Likes

Yup, after a month or two, I’ll surely write up my experience in details :wink:

2 Likes

Actually, we have integrated now a package called “cachyos-snapper-support”, this can be installed via cachyos-hello and setups snapper with a /home and / backup.

We were not able to integrate this directly into the installation, since when running with pacstrap, snapper somehow can not configure it properly.

CachyOS-Hello does only show the button, if a BTRFS filesystem is found.
Managing the snapshots, can be then done via “BTRFS” Assistant.

2 Likes

Awesome!

I just tested it now on a cachyos install I did a couple months ago (first iso with plasma 6, which also created the btrfs subvolumes):

1. installing “cachyos-snapper-support” showed an error that it couldn’t create the snapshot config as it was already there. But it created it for home.
  2. As a result, in btrfs-assistant I only have “home”, “backup” isn’t there.

I hope you will be able to integrate this with systemd-boot (like opensuse) in the future.

Thanks!

edit:
After:

1. deleting a snapper config I had in btrfs-assistant with another name (it wasn’t called “root”).
  2. then uninstalling cachyos-snapper-support and reinstalling it
  3. the snapper config for “root” was now created. → I works fine now.

But I still can’t see “backup”, so I guess you meant “root”?

1 Like

Thanks for testing, we will try to further improve it.

We need to work on a detection, which bootloader is used and then setting up grub-btrfs / refind-btrfs, which both support booting from the bootloader the snapshot.

Related to systemd-boot, we need to look into, how Suse is handling there, but lets see. :slight_smile:

Ive also tested it right now:

(1/2) installing snap-pac                                                                                                                     [---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(2/2) installing cachyos-snapper-support                                                                                                      [---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/snapper-cleanup.timer → /usr/lib/systemd/system/snapper-cleanup.timer.
Creating snapper config for root subvolume
Creating config failed (subvolume already covered).
Creating snapper config for home subvolume
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Performing snapper post snapshots for the following configurations...
==> root: 278
2 Likes

Here is how they do it with systemd-boot: Installation with full BTRFS snapshot and secure boot support

I had edited my previous post with some more info while you were replying. I now also get the same result.

Yes, they are using some kind of systemd-boot util for that. Maybe we can look in creating one.

2 Likes

You are amazing! :+1:

1 Like

Just going back to the OPs original point. One approach for a CachyOS based server, if there is enough ram available, is to use Incus to create some LXC containers and run mail and web services inside a lightweight Debian container. Some would suggest doing something similar using Docker but I personally prefer the VM/CT approach as all the web/mail services can be run in one container (or VM). I’m working on this approach right now and how to get the CachyOS host and Incus guests backed up to my Proxmox Backup Server(s).

BTW this is my 3rd day using CachyOS (Plasma) on real hardware and I couldn’t be happier with the OS :slight_smile:

I prefer native anyday, containers, sandboxes, and all that reduces performance :slight_smile: