June Testing ISO's are available

Hi together,

as every month we are preparing a new release, which will be either released on Sunday, or one week later, depending on how the testing goes.

The ISO got tested on several machines already, with different installation types - everything is looking good from our side.

The testing ISO’s can be found here:
https://mirror.cachyos.org/ISO/testing/

Here is the Changelog:

Features:

• chwd: Introduce handheld hardware detection
  • chwd: Introduce T2 MacBook support
  • chwd: Add network driver detection
  • Installation: Added MacBook T2 support
  • ISO: Add cachy-chroot. This is a script, which helps the user to chroot into the system.
  • ISO: Switch to Microcode Hooks, this requires to use the latest ventoy release (1.0.98)
  • ISO: Enable copytoram, this is not required anymore to disable, because we don’t provide the offline installation anymore
  • filesystem: BTRFS is now the default selected filesystem
  • netinstall: Use ufw instead of firewalld
  • Calamares: Branding: Update Branding Slides
  • Slides: Updated for latest changes
  • Package Updates: linux-cachyos 6.9.4, mesa 24.1.1, xwayland 24.1 , NVIDIA 555.52.04, Plasma 6.0.5

Bug-Fixes:

• calamares: umount: Enable emergency again
  • Qtile: Multimedia Controls are now working correctly
  • NVIDIA: Enable required services and options to have working sleep on wayland
  • netinstall: Remove b43-fwcutter to be installed
  • netinstall: hyprland-git got replaced with hyprland
  • netinstall: linux-cachyos-lts got dropped from selection, to avoid issues with missing modules
  • Calamares: Shellprocess: Move mirror ranking before installing keyring

Changelog from Experimental Handheld Release:

• KDE Vapor Theme will be now used as default (SteamOS Theme)
  • BTRFS is now the default filesystem
  • linux-cachyos-deckify is now the default kernel
  • SDDM uses now Wayland
  • Enviroment Flag for HHD to reduce latency
  • Added Kernel Arguments to improve the Game Mode Switching behaviour
  • The username can be now edited
  • Hardware Detection does configure and install required packages, depending on the used device
  • Mallit Keyboard uses now Dark Mode
  • Powerbuttond from Valve is now used for proper sleeping
  • Shortcuts can be now added to steam
  • scx-scheds got updated to latest git commit and provides the latest enhancements for the LAVD Scheduler
  • Add automount to cachyos-handheld
  • CachyOS is now able to do Steam Deck BIOS updates on the Steam Deck

Be aware that the T2 MacBook support is pending and will come together with the 6.9.4 Kernel.
The “cachy-chroot” is not included yet as default. This will get into the final release.
You can fetch the script already from here:

This script will guide the user to chroot into their system. It has also support for detecting btrfs subvolumes and will help mounting them.

4 Likes

I see you mention making btrfs the default file system. I am sure others will enjoy it but I will probably stick to xfs personally. xfs hasn’t failed me once since I first started using it. It is nice to see the improvements being made to handhelds. Maybe once they come down in price I will pick one out and try Cachy OS on it. $500 is too much for me. SDDM using wayland seems like a majro plus. I definitely like the idea of the kde vapor theme. I have been a steam user since 2008.

All good and I really appreciate the effort you folks go to get this distro working so well. I have two minor knits, I’m not happy about cachy-chroot depending on python and it would be nice to have the option to select bash as the default shell in the installer (maybe it is, I should look harder). The first thing I, and the folks that I have encouraged to use Cachyos, have to do is disable fish and manually enable bash in /etc/passwd and konsole. FWIW.

Yes, thats understandable, but we have a huge selection of filesystem and this also will not be dropped.

Generally, when we started CachyOS BTRFS had still a bunch of problems, but since the recent kernel versions there was not huger issues found anymore.
Special RAID configurations can be problematic, but besides that it is looking really well.

Thanks!

Well, the maintainer of the cachy-chroot did decide to work with python and its his preffered way. I think for most users, this wont make any difference, since the goal is to guide through the chroot steps and there it is working really well.

default shell in the installer

Yes, a selection would be really cool. We have this already on the todo list.

1 Like

I know. Everyone has their preferences. Funnily enough, I am not the biggest fan of the cachy shell setups. But that is easily something I can change relatively easily. Btrfs is good for those who want the overall windows-like backup experience. I find that btrfs introduces some cpu overhead. Decompressing zstd constantly can put stress on the battery life. If you want overall stability and good battery life, you really can’t go wrong with xfs. If you have less powerful hardware (fewer then 4 cpu cores) pick ext4.

On a side note, I currently replaced mknitcpio with dracut-ng. With the dracut-rebuild-initramfs aur pkg, it practically functions the same when it comes to hooks. I personally like dracut-ng because you can do a lot of cool stuff when it comes to boot parameters, variables and other neat things. I picked it out for comparison. Happy to say I have had no problems or regressions so far.

I find that btrfs introduces some cpu overhead

Actually, Cachy is (mainly) thought for mordern systems, and generally the compression is not that huge on quite modern (2015+) CPU’s anymore. We are also using zstd:1, which makes the background compression not that heavy.
uncompression is more or less not noticeable on most machines.

Decompressing zstd constantly can put stress on the battery life. If you want overall stability and good battery life, you really can’t go wrong with xfs. If you have less powerful hardware (fewer then 4 cpu cores) pick ext4.

That can be, but you are also saving a bunch of writes and actions to the system with btrfs, due CoW.

On a side note, I currently replaced mknitcpio with dracut-ng. With the dracut-rebuild-initramfs aur pkg, it practically functions the same when it comes to hooks. I personally like dracut-ng because you can do a lot of cool stuff when it comes to boot parameters, variables and other neat things. I picked it out for comparison. Happy to say I have had no problems or regressions so far.

Well, dracut is fine, but it was unmaintained for a long time, till dracut-ng came.
We also want to follow arch defaults and the mkinitcpio maintainer got very active. In the future we also want to offer UKI’s.
But this is probably planned with a bigger release in 2025.

That is a great realese i Hope This Sunday it get released , But what me and me more really wants to see is the grub btrfs support out of the box ( for the best of the OS )

First many will not gonna be afraid of tinker or go beyond the limits with thier OS ( as they can easily reboot back from The boot menu )

Second it will make CachyOs The Best And the most perfect piece of Art ever created ( IMO ) Because its gonna be using Nixos , opensuse Similar restore from Boot menu fenction ( Wich gonna also affect The Distro positevly ) because many Dont want Arch cause of it rolling nature

3rd I Think its More easy in case of bad Update to Go Back to Functional state ( Because not many users wants or know how to do that in boot failure using Terminal Emulator ) and they gonna be wasting some time

Finally i want to thank every dev and everyone (even by simply sharing The Os with its friend ) and working hard to make CACHYOS better and more perfect everyday . Wish You the best and keep it Up . ( mark my words it will be second or 3rd place in distrowatch soon ).

grub btrfs support out of the box

Package has been added:

A button for cachyos-hello will follow.

We can not do an automatic setup, since snapper seems not to properly creating the configuration, when installing in the chroot.
We can not fix this actually, so it depends on the cachyos-hello button.

If I have some traffic in the future, i can check this out, but for now this wont be done directly.

2 Likes

Yes I mean in The Hello button ( Snapper support ) The current one dont install grub btrfs or a way to reboot into current state from Boot menu Am glad ti hear its work in progress , That will Help New users and advanced once alot , as ive said Above , Thanks peter For that keep it up .

Being able to make snap shots on handheld would be nice

Yes, reason ive added above package. cachyos-hello will automatically install with the next release of it grub btrfs also, if grub is used.

1 Like

You can enable Snapshots via cachyos-hello, but there wont be a possibility to boot directly from it, since we are using a differnt bootloader for.

1 Like

I installed the grub-btrfs-support package ( Link Above )

Reboot the pc to test it
I find A new entry called Cachyos Snapshot :smiley:

I Selected an older Snapshot
I Find another 2 once inside that Snapshot
(Vmlinuz linux cachyos & initramfs-linux-cachyos-fallback.img & intel-ucode.img and another one Vmlinuz linux cachyos & initramfs-linux-cachyos.img & intel-ucode.img )

I Selected the first one
And it Workd perfectly

And what is the real difference between the one with Fallback and the one without

Great.

And what is the real difference between the one with Fallback and the one without

Fallback includes all modules. This is mainly used, when the normal initramfs is either broken or missing modules from the autodetect hook.

1 Like

Got any plans to support the clover bootloader? This would allow dual booting

Refind does already a proper job in dual booting.

Honestly I don’t even know as though I trust clover boot loader. That thing got flagged as a trojan, by four different antivirus providers. Course this was years ago but still, it is very concerning to me.

Hello, first message here.

I just discovered this distro and caught my eye so I gave it a try.

Booted cachyos-kde-linux-240609.iso on my laptop with an NVIDIA RTX 3070 Mobile and HDMI out is not working properly.

It detects the external monitor but no image whatsoever, just a black screen and a laggy KDE. When the HDMI cable is unplugged it works normally.

My guess is it may be related with the NVIDIA 555 driver as I have no problems with NVIDIA 550 on Manjaro.

NVIDIA 555 - NO HDMI Out - cachyos-kde-linux-240609.iso

System:
  Host: CachyOS Kernel: 6.9.3-3-cachyos arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
    v: 14.1.1 clocksource: tsc
  Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 6.0.5 tk: Qt v: N/A wm: kwin_x11 vt: 2 dm: SDDM
    Distro: CachyOS base: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: GIGABYTE product: AERO 15 XD v: N/A
  Mobo: N/A model: AERO 15 XD serial: <superuser required> part-nu: P75XD
    uuid: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: FB03
    date: 04/27/2021
CPU:
  Info: 8-core model: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    smt: enabled arch: Tiger Lake rev: 1 cache: L1: 640 KiB L2: 10 MiB L3: 24 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 920 high: 1383 min/max: 800/4600 cores: 1: 800 2: 1114
    3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 1383 7: 800 8: 800 9: 800 10: 1306 11: 800 12: 800
    13: 800 14: 800 15: 1320 16: 800 bogomips: 73728
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] vendor: Gigabyte driver: i915
    v: kernel arch: Gen-12.1 ports: active: eDP-1 empty: DP-1, DP-2, DP-3, DP-4,
    DP-5, HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:9a60 class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: NVIDIA GA104M [GeForce RTX 3070 Mobile / Max-Q] vendor: Gigabyte
    driver: nvidia v: 555.52.04 arch: Ampere pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 16
    ports: active: none off: HDMI-A-2 empty: DP-6,DP-7 bus-ID: 01:00.0
    chip-ID: 10de:249d class-ID: 0300
  Device-3: IMC Networks USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam driver: uvcvideo type: USB
    rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 3-9:4 chip-ID: 13d3:56a2
    class-ID: 0e02 serial: 0x0001
  Display: x11 server: X.org v: 1.21.1.13 with: Xwayland v: 24.1.0
    compositor: kwin_x11 driver: X: loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev
    alternate: intel,nouveau,nv,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915,nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch
    display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 5120x1440 s-size: <missing: xdpyinfo>
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-2 mapped: HDMI-1-0 note: disabled pos: right
    model: LG (GoldStar) ULTRAGEAR serial: 109NTPCBS728 res: 2560x1440 hz: 100
    dpi: 109 size: 597x336mm (23.5x13.23") diag: 685mm (27") modes:
    max: 2560x1440 min: 640x480
  Monitor-2: eDP-1 pos: primary,left model: Samsung 0x4143 res: 2560x1440
    hz: 60 dpi: 189 size: 344x194mm (13.54x7.64") diag: 395mm (15.5")
    modes: 3840x2160
  API: OpenGL Message: Unable to show GL data. glxinfo is missing.

Working HDMI Out - NVIDIA 550 Manjaro

System:
  Host: nvidia Kernel: 6.9.2-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
    v: 14.1.1 clocksource: tsc
  Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 6.0.5 tk: Qt v: N/A wm: kwin_x11 vt: 2 dm: SDDM
    Distro: Manjaro base: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: GIGABYTE product: AERO 15 XD v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: N/A model: AERO 15 XD serial: <superuser required> part-nu: P75XD
    uuid: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: FB03
    date: 04/27/2021
CPU:
  Info: 8-core model: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    smt: enabled arch: Tiger Lake rev: 1 cache: L1: 640 KiB L2: 10 MiB L3: 24 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 906 high: 1321 min/max: 800/4600 cores: 1: 1025 2: 800
    3: 800 4: 1321 5: 1029 6: 800 7: 800 8: 1136 9: 800 10: 1199 11: 800 12: 800
    13: 800 14: 800 15: 800 16: 800 bogomips: 73744
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] vendor: Gigabyte driver: i915
    v: kernel arch: Gen-12.1 ports: active: eDP-1 empty: DP-1, DP-2, DP-3, DP-4,
    DP-5, HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:9a60 class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: NVIDIA GA104M [GeForce RTX 3070 Mobile / Max-Q] vendor: Gigabyte
    driver: nvidia v: 550.78 arch: Ampere pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 16
    bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:249d class-ID: 0300
  Device-3: IMC Networks USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam driver: uvcvideo type: USB
    rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 3-9:4 chip-ID: 13d3:56a2
    class-ID: 0e02 serial: 0x0001
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.13 with: Xwayland v: 24.1.0
    compositor: kwin_x11 driver: X: loaded: modesetting,nvidia
    alternate: fbdev,nouveau,nv,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915 display-ID: :0
    screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 2560x2880 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 676x761mm (26.61x29.96")
    s-diag: 1018mm (40.07")
  Monitor-1: HDMI-1-0 pos: top res: 2560x1440 hz: 100 dpi: 109
    size: 597x336mm (23.5x13.23") diag: 685mm (26.97") modes: N/A
  Monitor-2: eDP-1 pos: primary,bottom res: 2560x1440 hz: 60 dpi: 189
    size: 344x194mm (13.54x7.64") diag: 395mm (15.55") modes: N/A
  API: EGL v: 1.5 hw: drv: intel iris drv: nvidia platforms: device: 0
    drv: nvidia device: 1 drv: iris device: 3 drv: swrast gbm: drv: kms_swrast
    surfaceless: drv: nvidia x11: drv: iris inactive: wayland,device-2
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: intel mesa v: 24.0.8-manjaro1.1
    glx-v: 1.4 direct-render: yes renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (TGL GT1)
    device-ID: 8086:9a60
  API: Vulkan v: 1.3.279 layers: 1 surfaces: xcb,xlib device: 0
    type: discrete-gpu driver: nvidia device-ID: 10de:249d

Memory: total: 48 GiB note: est. available: 46.79 GiB used: 2.06 GiB (4.4%)
  Processes: 323 Power: uptime: 1m states: freeze,mem,disk suspend: deep
    wakeups: 0 hibernate: platform Init: systemd v: 255 default: graphical
  Packages: pm: pacman pkgs: 1296 Compilers: gcc: 14.1.1 alt: 13 Shell: Zsh
    v: 5.9 default: Bash v: 5.2.26 running-in: konsole inxi: 3.3.34

NVIDIA 555 is still Beta Not Stable.