Issues trying latest iso

I’m trying the latest iso with Plasma, and booted into live cd. I see following things and not sure if these are expected -

• there is no system monitor. searched for ‘monitor’ and only see display monitor settings.
  • there is no ‘system information’ or ‘system about’ or ‘about’ in setting app
  • searched for ksysguard, sysinfo etc in both start menu, and using ‘which ksysguard’, nothing found. Then I tried to install it ‘pary ksysguard’ - it shows many outdated entries and one entry for ksysguard6. When I try to install that it kept showing me multiple choices for each package, and in then end it failed
  • the live iso couldn’t see my windows partition - failed to mount

this was using the latest iso on a modern pc with Ryzen 5 cpu.

Hi,

The live cd is pretty stripped down, because we do not offer an offline installation anymore. to avoid a big ISO we have removed most applications and co.

After the installation you will have these installed.

Ksysguard also does not exists anymore, it got deprecated by KDE

thank you, I figured that was the case. I use top in terminal so it wasn’t an issue.

my other concern is what happened when I tried to install the package ksysguard6. I realize now ksysguard is deprecated but that seemed like it was for Plasma 6, and paru kept asking me to pick from multiple sources for each package, which I’ve never seen before.

sudo pacman -S ksysguard6 shows nothing in the cachyos or archlinux repos (obviously as it was deprecated).

paru ksysguard6 shows only 1 entry in the AUR, this is the git development version.

When paru or yay asks you to pick from several sources, it means that that name is available in different repositories. Cachyos uses the cachyos repos (with highest priority) and also the archlinux repos (with lower priority, for the packages that are not in the cachyos repos).

Depending on your system, it can also show the cachyos v3, v4 & znver4 repos.

I.ex: if your CPU supports x86-64-v3, it will show the packages in the cachyos-v3, cachyos (this is x86-64-v1), and archlinux repos… as well as in the AUR if there is anything with that name there.

If you want the best package from the normal repos selected automatically by priority, use pacman instead of paru/yay.

yes, I did a ‘paru ksysguard’ and it was the first package listed.

so isn’t this going to be common for a lot of packages, since they will be in multiple repos, the base one and the optimized ones?

how would I always select the one from the repo best optimized for my cpu architecture? I thought that by default, using paru/yay would always install the most optimized version?

This shows the library in the archlinux extra repo, and several other packages in the AUR (The Archlinux User Repository is not part of the distribution repositories).

• paru & yay search everywhere, including the AUR.
  • pacman only searches distro repositories.

yes, that’s why I told you to use pacman (which only searches in the distro repositories), so you won’t have to select it manually.

As I said, use pacman.

Use paru or yay if you want packages from the AUR.

But if you have to chose manually, always select the best package optimized for your cpu (cachyos-v3 or v4, or znver4 (depending on what your cpu supports - you can also see the repos that were automatically detected in /etc/pacman.conf, and then cachyos, and then the core/extra arch repos … in this order).

No, with paru/yay you have to select manually.

pacman does it automatically.

Didn’t know this, thank you. So how would one install a cpu optimized version of something thats only in the AUR? or does that not make any sense?

I’m used to only using paru/yay since they are a superset of pacman, and a lot of things only exist in AUR. Would it not be possible to pass some kind of param to pray to make it select only a specific version of a package - that would of course require packages be marked with some specific tag to indicate v3/v4 etc.

Yes, to build AUR packages with your cflags, edit /etc/makepkg.conf

You can use x86-64-v3 or x86-64-v4 if your cpu supports it.
Or if you want to build exactly for your CPU to use all of its available cpu optimizations, use “native” (but this package won’t be compatible with different cpus).

And you can replace -O2 with -O3 to optimize even further.

Like this:

CFLAGS="-march=native -O3 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions \
        -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wformat -Werror=format-security \
        -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection"

RUSTFLAGS="-C opt-level=3 -C target-cpu=native"

(don’t touch PACKAGECARCH=“x86_64”).

If you use “native”, -mtune= isn’t needed as -march=native automatically implies -mtune=native.
Otherwise, you can set -mtune to maintain compatibility with cpus from a specific architecture (i.ex: -march=native -mtune=x86-64-v3 would maintain compatibility with all the x86-64-v3 cpus. You lose a little performance compared to only using “native” (or whatever else you want to use), but it may be worth it if you plan to move your os to a different pc with another cpu in the future).