Hello from a new user!

Just wanted to introduce myself! I’m a long time distro hopper and have been experimenting with Linux for a few years now. I’ve tried Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora (both Gnome and KDE), EndeavourOS, Bazzite, and PopOS. I primarily use my system for gaming and with a little bit of web browsing and basic office work thrown in there. I have to say, after 3 days I’ve been blown away with Cachyos. Everything is so fast and snappy, and the system was dead easy to setup for gaming. To the point where I think I might be done dual booting! Thank you devs for making an awesome operating system!

Two quick questions.

1. What is the best way to update my system? Should I be using sudo pacman -Syu, paru, or Octopi? I’ve seen some conflicting material either way.

2. What is the best way to make periodic backups of my system? Timeshift? Or is there another, preferred method? I know Cachyos is pretty stable, but at the end of the day it is still a rolling release, and crap happens.

Normally you should stick to just pacman -Syu but when it comes to the AUR there isn’t really a definitive package manager to handle all AUR updates. Some will fail to build some packages while others wont. Even so, Paru and Pikaur would be my recommendation. Octopi actually supports using those two for handling aur stuff. Can only pick one though for octopi helper. The third option you could look at is trizen. That is yet another supported octopi helper package manager.

To answer your second question, it really depends on which file system you intend to go with. If you go with btrfs you would go with snapshots. If you pick xfs or ext4, then you would use timeshift.

I am very boring! lol
I don’t like mixing, so I update in 2 steps:

System:

sudo pacman -Syyu

AUR:

paru -Syua

And obviously, after restarting, I update the flatpak:

flatpak update

After restarting, because this way the flatpak identifies if there was an Nvidia libs update on the system to update on its side.

Welcome! Hope you like CachyOS!

1. There is in cachyos-hello an update system button. Just use this one. You maybe also want sometimes to rank the cachyos arnd arch mirror with “sudo cachyos-rate-mirrors”
  2. There is also a button in cachyos-hello, in case you are using btrfs called “cachyos-snapper-support”. This will create on a daily basis snapshots from your home and after every update from your root
1 Like

Thank you! I saw the snapper-support button but I wasn’t completely sure what that was. Again, great work and thanks for making such a great distro!

1 Like

Cachy has several build in cli commands,

update is what i use.

1 Like

arch-update is the best updater. No other updater does what it does.

It takes care of all of the housekeeping you have to do to properly maintain arch systems:

1. proper handling of .pacnew/.pacsave files
  2. cleaning of orphaned packages
  3. cleaning of old package cache
  4. also supports AUR & flatpak
  5. displays the latest Arch Linux news before applying updates.
  6. nice systray with update notifications
  7. automatic check for services requiring a post upgrade restart and offers to do so if there are.
  8. automatic check for pending kernel updates requiring a reboot to be applied and offers to do so if there’s one.
  9. etc… full description here.

It can be considered as an “official” arch updater, as it is made by antiz (official arch team member in charge of archlinux.org, etc…).

1 Like

i’ve been using topgrade - no tray or gui, but it gets all kind of updates without a problem.

1 Like